Saturday, February 21, 2009

Turkey Stuffed Pepper Recipe! (& other stuffs)

I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend!

I've been inspired by SmarterFitter Blog and decided that, beginning Monday, I will start a photo food diary. I will not torture you all with it here since I do not have awesomely great photography skills or super sleek tableware. I may post the occasional item in my blog, of course, but I will mostly just use a flickr feed in my sidebar so you can click through at your own risk ;-)


I also have this DELICIOUS turkey stuffed pepper recipe. I made mine in a crock pot, but you can just do it on the stove by simmering at low/medium heat for about an hour (this is my understanding anyway).

Here goes:

Please note I have a 5.5-6Qt oval crockpot and made 6 stuffed peppers. So if yours is smaller adjust accordingly (modified from here with some tips from a close friend)

Ingredients
6 Bell Peppers (any color)
1 (1-1.25lbs) Package Lean/XtraLean Ground Turkey
1 cup cooked rice (i used instant brown rice)
1 can of tomatoes - any kind
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
1 jar pasta sauce
1/2 small/medium onion (finely chopped)
some carrots(grated)
celery (finely chopped)
clove of garlic
any misc veggies you want to use up (finely chopped)
salt, pepper, garlic powder(optional) to taste

Instructions
carefully cut off the tops of the peppers and clean them out, keeping the tops
Chop and brown onions, carrots, garlic
Lightly brown the turkey (optional, I am paranoid about poultry)
Combine everything EXCEPT 1/2 jar of pasta sauce and the bell peppers
Stuff the peppers
Nestle them in the crock pot (no tops yet)
Pour remaining pasta sauce over the top letting it spill over into the crock pot
Put on the tops (cute and they add a bit more flavor)
Add approx 1/3 cup water to the crock pot (not to the peppers)
Cook on low for 6-8 hours (about 6.5 was perfect when I did them)

You'll probably have some stuffing left over, i just sauteed it all and ate it up, it was delish!

2 comments:

Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point said...

thanks for checking out my blog!! :) good luck on your journey.

Little Fish said...

Sounds yummy. I'll definitely be trying this recipe at some point.