Sunday, April 26, 2009

Unemployment & Depression

As I hinted in previous posts: I was having a bit of a hard time keeping my emotions in check during the tail end of my unemployment. Since roughly the beginning of March, I was pretty much losing it.

The feelings of worthlessness, sadness, frustration, anger, and helplessness were so strong and over powering that simply getting out of bed and trying to maintain the semblance of a healthy routine was utterly exhausting.

Based on my history with bouts of depression I feel confident that I was suffering from mild to moderate clinical depression. Now, I did not go to a doctor, but I was getting there. The thought to seek out help, once again, crossed my mind and BF's lips often over the last 2 months.

Luckily, the stars aligned and my amazing group of friends suddenly set me up with a number of interviews which led to a job offer! The timing was great. Another few weeks of unemployment and I am certain that avoiding the therapist would have been impossible and dangerous.

I want to stress that depression should never be ignored. I justify my own decision to avoid help by telling myself that I am more aware and in control of myself than most people, even in depression. But, in reality, I probably should have gone. I am truly lucky that my situation changed as quickly as it did but it might have changed sooner if I had been able to deal with my anxiety and feelings of despair.

While 7 months of unemployment does majorly SUCK; many others have been and will be unemployed much longer before our country starts to recuperate. I consider myself lucky that depression was the worst part of my experience. Things are ugly out there right now.

If you are stuggling with your own situation (unemployment or any one of the many other things life likes to hurl at us) please seek help. It is critical!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Luceroxjmr said...

The performance of these batteries is far better than various other types of batteries. For example programs like Adobe reader, Zune, iTunes and Google desktop search start by default and keep running in the background.. The new restrictions, announced by the United States Department of Transportation (DOT), are designed to decrease the danger of fire in aircrafts. The batteries of most modern cars are usually hidden inside plastic boxes in one of the front corners of the engine compartment.